To become eligible to receive the Covenant, 21st Century Scholars must:
- Apply to IU during the fall of your senior year and be accepted by the Office of Admissions.
- Submit the 21st Century Scholars pledge affirmation to the 21st Century Scholars state office.
- Submit the online application for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 10 of your senior year.
- Complete the Intent to Enroll Form for IUB and enroll in the fall following your senior year of high school.
Covenant Awarding Process
Once admitted, the 21st Century Scholarship Covenant Award is available to 21st Century Scholars who demonstrate unmet financial need. The Covenant is an automatic financial award that is provided for students who demonstrate unmet financial need and therefore does not require a separate application.
- Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) determines the expected family contribution (EFC).
- The EFC is added to the tuition waiver from the state, and is subtracted from the total cost of attendance which determines your financial need.
- After any grants or additional scholarships, if there is any remaining unmet financial need to cover direct costs, the Covenant is awarded and can be used toward the average cost of room, board, and books.
- Please keep in mind that there will be no direct amount paid directly to student since the cost of books varies by each student.
There is no minimum or maximum award amount for the Covenant. The amount of the award varies by each student’s financial aid profile. Your expected family contribution, federal and state grants, and additional scholarships could impact the amount of unmet financial need you will have. The disbursement of this award is based on the discretion of the Office of Student Financial Assistance. More information about financial aid is available on the Student Central website.
Retaining the Covenant
In order to retain the Covenant after your freshmen year, you are required to:
- Maintain continuous enrollment at IUB
- Complete your FAFSA by March 10 of each spring
- Meet all scholarship requirements set by the 21st Century Scholar state office
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress
Tomika L. Ferguson
21st Century Scholarships Covenant
408 N. Union Street 324
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-5779